Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2008

Lasagna Napoletana


My Lasagna Napoletana
This recipe is the very epitome of Italian cooking, good food is good enough. If you use a good homemade sauce, a good brand of pasta (I like Barilla or even better homemade!), and real Parmesan Reggiano you simply can't go wrong with this recipe. I have put the meat down as *Optional because I usually only make it with meat when I have meatballs and or sausage left over from a previous meal. The basil is also *Optional as I add this only in the Summer months when I have it in my garden. It is great either way!
Ingredients
1 box oven-ready lasagna noodles or fresh homemade
2 eggs
1 container (15 oz) ricotta
a few scrapes of nutmeg
4 cups shredded mozzarella
½ cup grated parmesan reggiano
about medium pot full of marinara sauce
*Optional: 1/2 - 1 pound cooked Italian sausage (hot or sweet) sliced thinly or casings removed/crumbled & or left over meatballs sliced thinly
*Optional: a large handful of fresh basil leaves
Directions
Set oven to 375 & grease a 13x9x3” lasagna pan (works really well in a stone ware pan)
Mix all of the cheeses (except half of mozzarella), nutmeg, & beaten eggs

When you layer the noodles slightly over lap them not touching the edges of pan as they will expand as you cook them.
Layer sauce on bottom , noodles, cheese mix, ½ mozzarella & sauce.This is also the layer which I would put a nice layer of fresh basil leaves if I have them. Next , layer noodles, cheese mix (sausage and meatballs go here if you use them) & sauce. Repeat this layer.
Last, add noodles, sauce & the other half of mozzarella (I usually add a little more Parmesan as well).
Bake 50 –60 minutes covered
& 5 minutes uncovered
Rest 15 minutes before serving, this is a must so that you don't have a glop of your lasagna on your plate.

No comments: