Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Low Carb & Gluten Free Biscotti




"Anna why you defile my biscotti?"

I'm super excited about this recipe! Its based, rather closely too, on my Bis-Nonna Cornacio's (Great Grandmother) recipe and although I can almost hear her saying something like, "Why you make-uh my biscotti like that?.....What's a matter you Anna?" In the end it makes my holiday feel like my pre-lowcarb days which makes the defiling of my Bis Nonnas recipe kind of worth it : |


I'm sorry Nonna Cornaccio : |
Ingredients
1 cup coconut flour
2 cups almond meal
1/4 cup (half a stick) salted butter softened just a bit
3 eggs
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
6 tablespoons stevia (Or whatever sugar replacement you use that is  1 cup equivalent to sugar)
Topping: About 1/3 cup Very Very  dark chocolate melted. ( I melt mine by placing it in a small metal bowl on the burner (turned off!) while the cookies bake, it works like a charm every time!)
melted chocolate

Directions
Mix "sugar" and butter until creamy.
Add eggs, extract, and mix.
Add almond meal/coconut flour and just mix until blended don't over mix or else it will get to soft and you will have to add more flour!
Set in fridge for an hour or over night.
Very gently shape into 2 loaves on a parchment lined cookie sheet, less is more or else they start to break up, and bake for 25-28  minutes or just starting to turn golden brown.
Cool for few minutes and then slice at diagonal. Handle with care : )
Set back in oven on their sides placing smaller pieces in middle for 10 minutes.
Cool complete on rack.
Cover one side with melted chocolate.
These are best when refrigerated before eating. They are a bit more fragile than regular biscotti but the hardening of the butter in the fridge allows them to hold up to a good dunking or two : )

Baked logs
Formed logs

Sliced logs
After second baking!



No comments: