Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ricotta fritters


These were so delicious! I got the recipe from Gourmet magazine and had some ricotta left over from another recipe so I thought I would give them a try. We loved them. The only things I did different from the original recipe is I made them larger (I got 22 fritters rather than 3 dozen!) I think any smaller would have been all crust and no soft doughnuty inside. I also used orange zest instead of lemon as it seemed more of a breakfast flavor. If you use orange zest you need to double the amount as it is not as flavorful as lemon zest.
Ricotta Fritters
(Gourmet Magazine)
4 - 6 cups canola oil
3/4 cup all purp flour
2 teaspoons bakingpowder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest OR (2 teaspoons orange zest)
1 cup whole milk ricotta
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
confectioners sugar for dusting
Heat oil to 375 (1 1/2 inches high)
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and zest
In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, ricotta, sugar, and vanilla
Now add both mixtures and lightly mix together
Gently drop in rounded 1 tablespoons (about the size of a small hush puppy)of batter in batches and fry until golden brown (3 minutes)
place on paper towels and drain, add confectioners sugar
Allow the oil to heat up again in between batches

No comments: