Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2010

Grand Marnier - Homemade Orange Liqueur


Grand Marnier is the orange flavored liqueur of France used with Crêpes Suzette and "crêpes au Grand Marnier" I like to use it in cakes and frosting in place of extract.I got this recipe from this site and tried it and it does taste like the real thing. I did make a few tweaks to the original recipe like replacing vanilla extract for the vanilla bean and I also felt like 4 oranges was just not enough so I used 6, which I am glad I did because it would have been way to weak with only 4. It took 3 weeks to steep but other than the wait it is pretty easy to make.
Ingredients
The peel of 6 medium Oranges
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups Vodka
1 cup Brandy
1 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
Directions
Peel your oranges making sure to not get too much of the pith (white stuff)I found that a vegetable peeler did the best job but you can also use a zester if you prefer. Place the peel along with the vodka and brandy in covered glass jar and refrigerate for 3 weeks. After 3 weeks strain the liquid from the peel. Place the sugar and the water into a small pan and cook on medium heat stirring with a wooden spoon making sure the sugar completely dissolves.
After the sugar and water have cooled add it to the orange flavored liquer. Pour it into a clean glass bottle or jar with a lid (I used the original vodka bottle) and store in the fridge.

1 comment:

Brenda Christmas said...

I don't like olives, but I love olive oil! We also keep a bottle in the bathroom. My daughter adds some to her bath water when she's feeling dry and itchy.