Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Neapolitan Espresso


Neapolitan Espresso
This is the technique for making a perfect cup of Neapolitan Espresso simply called caffe in Italy, this is the kind with that lovely Crema on top (See photo) and it can be done without an espresso machine!  My Mom used to make it for my Dad and I can still see her whipping the sugar up in straight in the demitasse cup. My Zia Adele Casolaro taught me this technique when I was 9 ten years old while she was visiting America in 1979. I was the happily chosen one to  make my Nona Flora her first cup of caffe each morning they were here, I felt so honored to be the chosen one out of all my sisters! The good thing about growing up in an Italian family is the fact that each member has their given "job" and you feel honored and useful. I think I still have that mind set, thanks to my parents, and that may be why I thoroughly enjoy cooking for others and showing hospitality, it's my "job" in God's family!
~My Zia Adele is the young girl to the left of my Beautiful Mom~
Ingredients & Tools
I will give you a recipe for a 4 cup pot but you can adjust this to a larger or smaller one. *See Note for 1 cup.
4 cup Moka Pot
4 small demitasse or espresso cups
1 small bowl to whisk the sugar in
1 small whisk
Fine Ground espresso
4 heaping teaspoons sugar: raw or regular (I prefer raw due to the color)

Directions
First set up your cups. Take apart the pot. And place the sugar into the bowl.
First unscrew the top of the Moka espresso pot and remove the filter, add cold fresh water to just below the release valve screw, use a little less water if you want it stronger.
Place the filter back in and add espresso loosely and piled up slightly for a strong cup of espresso, less if you want it weaker.

Next, screw the top back on and place it on the end of the burner turned to medium high heat.
After a few minutes you will hear it as the air starts to press through, at this time check for the first few drops, those are the most prescious and what will be used to make the crema!
 Take the pot off the heat and pour those first few dropsinto the bowl of sugar, just a little, we are making a sort of paste. Place the pot back on the heat to continue brewing.


Now whip it up with a whisk until it is light and creamy! Distribute this mixture evenly among the cups and pour the espresso on top into each cup and stir. You will know the espresso is finished brewing when it is silent.
*Note: You can do this easily in your own individual cup by putting the sugar in the cup and whisking it with your spoon. This works just as well and is perfect if you are just making 1 cup.

2 comments:

Sonia Monagheddu said...

Un caffè come si deve! Brava ;)
Sonia

Luigi said...

PRECISELY the same way my family made espresso with "crema" on the top. 1,000's of miles apart, exactly the same technique.

I do this today too, although I have an espresso machine, I still use the Moka pot, more often, because it is easier to clean.

Nice that Italians maintain this tradition.