Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Quick & Easy Risotto!

This risotto is so quick and easy  you won't believe it! It's basically arborio rice cooked in the Spanish style which makes for a much easier risotto. And it is just as creamy as the original dish , the only real difference would be that the consistency of the individual grains are less firm. I first saw this method on Lidia Bastinach's show: Lidia's Italy and since then have even won over my Dad (A die hard risotto fan) to this quicker easier method.I have made a few tweaks like an additional cooking ans stirring at the end as well as adding some wine. The other day I quadrupled this recipe for a large group of people and it came out perfetto! I love to add cheese to this basic recipe so I guess you could call it Easy Cheesy Risotto ; )
Ingredients (This will serve 4 people but it can be doubled.)
2/3 cups arborio rice
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
To add at finish: 1/4 cup Parmigiana Reggiana & 2 more Tablespoons butter)
Directions
In a medium heavy bottomed pot (That has a tight fitting lid.) melt the butter over medium heat and then add rice. Cook for 2 minutes stirring often.
Pour in the broth and wine and turn up the heat. Bring to a foil boil.
Stir once, turn heat to low and cover.
Leave it alone allowing to simmer for 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat and allow it to sit for 5 minutes with the lid still on.
Note: At this point it does not ever seem cooked enough way too liquidy so I take off the lid and continue to cook on medium high heat while stirring until it is thick enough, maybe another 5 minutes.
Add butter, cheese, and taste for salt adding if necessary: serve right away with even more Parmigiana if you please : )

4 comments:

Ann Minard said...

Nikki, I used the risotto you gave me, thanks!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I"m going to try this! I have the worst results with risotto, the rice NEVER fully cooks and I'm left with crunchy rice - even after 90 minutes of cooking and stirring. I blame the altitude :) maybe this version will work better. Time to find out!

Ann Minard said...

Andrea,
Great, let me know how it turns out! Here's a hint: use a see through lid so you can see when it's finished. It will still have some liquid on top unlike regular rice.

Jonathan said...

I have a confession to make. I've never made risotto. After seeing your recipe, I've got to try it.