Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Mini Frittata


 I first saw a mini frittata on Travel Network's $40 a day, it was being served at a small coffee shop in the Hamptons and they had apparently been baked in ramekins. I love the idea of mini foods and have experimented with mini pizzas, calzones, meat loaves, Baba Au Rhum all using a standard muffin tin. So I immediately thought I could  make mini frittata --Italian Omelet-- in a muffin tin! This is my basic Frittata recipe but the filling ideas are endless which is what I truly love about Italian cooking .And the Italians even have a word for this type of cooking ~SFIZIO~ which loosely translates to a fun, fancy, whim. In other words you take a basic classic recipe and add your own little pizzazz or zing!
For my own Sfizio I drizzled on some truffle oil!

Ingredients
(This is for a 12 muffin tin) 
12 large eggs or 10 extra large eggs
2 Tb onion chopped fine
1 clove garlic minced
salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 TB chopped parsley
olive oil
cooking spray (PAM)
Directions
Preheat oven to 375.
Spray your muffin tin well all inside and across the top. Add a drizzle of olive oil in each cup of the tin.
Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil with a pinch of salt until soft but not brown.
In a bowl whisk together the eggs, a pinch of salt and a few turns of fresh ground black pepper.
Add the onion/garlic mixture, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, parsley, and whisk together.
I poured the egg mixture into a small pitcher to help pour into my muffin cups and this was exremely helpful! But you can also ladle it into each cup, each cup should be 3/4 full.
Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan on top. 
Bake for 20 minutes or until set. I then broiled the top for 1-2 minutes for a nice browning. Just keep the oven door open and watch so they do not burn.
They will be very puffed when removing and then will fall down once removed, this is normal.
Remove from tins using a fork pretty much right away to avoid them getting stuck.
You can serve these, hot, warm, or at room temp.

No comments: