Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Zuppa Con Acini Di Pepe (Pastina Soup)


 Acini Di Pepe Soup is a soup my mom always made on rainy days or when when we were sick. It has the tiny pastina (Acini Di Pepe) shaped like little peppercorns and is very similar to chicken soup with rice.... But ~MUCH~ better. This is the one dish that truly takes me back to my childhood ...........Italian food is so simple and so good.
My sister Flora sent me this recipe as she remembers it, thanks sis!
Ingredients
8 cups chicken broth (I use 8 cups water plus 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon from Costco)
8 oz Acini Di Pepe or Orzo (Or you can use another pastina)
Few leaves fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
Salt & black pepper 

4 tsp extra virgin olive oil 
2 fresh Roma chopped or 3 canned San Marzano tomatoes chopped For Garnish:
Grated Parmesan cheese

red pepper flakes 
Directions
Bring broth & remaining ingredients ( expect cheese & pasta) to boil
Add pasta & cook al dente (about 9 mins: see package)

Sprinkle some Parmesan and a few red pepper flakes in top. You can make a meal of this by serving with a grilled cheese sandwich or panini!

Acini Di Pepe


Better Than Bouillon




1 comment:

Rosita Vargas said...

Esta deliciosa pastina la consumo siempre ,me encantan las sopas,se ve espectacular,abrazos grandes.