Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Baba

Baba's on  display in Milan, Italy.
Photo courtesy of Picasa.
Okay so first of all these are not my baba's seen above, they are some from a shop in Milan , Italy and they are just like the ones I fell in love with in Italy's Pasticceria. I remember walking into my first Pasticceria--Pastry Shop-- and thinking I'd died and gone to heaven, the sights and smells were absolutely extraordinary. And if any of you have been following my blog for a while you have probably noticed my fondness for Baba's. It all started with the movie: Babbette's Feast . Immediately after watching this superb movie I baked up  a large Baba in a basic bundt pan very much like Babette's and soaked it in rum....delicious!
Then I traveled to Italy and ate these small Baba's soaked in your choice of not only Rum but many other liqueur options such as Limoncello and Amaretto as well and I kind of fell in love all over again. So after I came home I tried to make some in a cupcake pan and soaked them in Limoncello, my now new favorite, but they still didn't have that beautiful puffy top : ( You may ask, so why not just buy some molds, well they run for about $3 per cup! But then I found this silicon mold set sold on Amazon and as soon as I had an extra $15 ordered them, I got them in the mail yesterday..... I have nothing on the calender....it is a dark rainy day........looks like a Baba kind of day to me.

No comments: