Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, January 9, 2015

Tarte Aux Pignons (pinenut & fruit tart)


 This is a delightful little tart (delightful just goes with tart doesn't it?) from the Provence region of France and can I just say that those French really know how to make a tart. The flavors are complex yet comforting I'd describe it as a cross between a fruit cake and pecan pie. I used a recipe from Mediterranean Cookbook but I did change it up enough to call it my own. I don't personally like candied fruit but I do love citrus so I replaced the fruit with orange, lemon, and lime zest. I also added in some chopped dates and a little more raisins and simplified the recipe a bit because I just don't like too fussy. And, oh yeah...just a bit of amaretto ....I had to get a little Italian in somewhere : )
Tools: tart or pie pan
 Ingredients
Shortcrust Pastry
4 tablespoons butter unsalted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg yolk
ice cold water
Filling 
9 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped dates
2 tablespoons rum
1 tablespoon amaretto (optional you can just use 3 tablespoons rum)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup ground almonds (I used my food processor)
2 large eggs
zest of 1 lemon, 1 lime, and 1 orange
4 ounces pine-nuts for topping

Directions
Dough: In mixer beat the butter till creamy, add in the rest of ingredients (except water)  and mix until crumbly.
Add in water a tiny bit at a time and mix until a dough forms.
Wrap in plastic and keep in fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Place the raisins in a cup with rum and amaretto and microwave for 1/2 a minute, allow to sit out for an hour while the tart crust chills.
Preheat oven to 400 when ready .
In mixer, cream butter along with sugar, zest, and almonds.
Add in eggs 1 at a time and mix.
Stir in raisins, dates, and all the rum/amaretto liquid.
Roll out dough and press into pan, you can add back to fridge for a few minutes to set up again if its warm.
Dump in filling, spread out, and add pin nuts all over top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool in pan.
Either serve in the pie pan or turn it out of tart pan.




No comments: