Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Zeppole! (From Pizza Dough)

Every time my Dad made deep fried calzone he would take a bit of the pizza dough aside and after dinner he would quickly fry up a batch of zeppole using the same oil. I can still remember him filling a brown paper bag with zeppole and some sugar and then giving it a good shake~shake~shake. There is nothing like zeppole just out of the frying oil and coated in sugar.....I believe it is quite possibly one of the world's most perfect foods : )Ingredients
pizza dough homemade (My Recipe is HERE)  or store bought
oil for frying
sugar and if you like cinnamon for topping 
Directions
Set up a plate with some paper towels and a paper bag or bowl with some sugar and cinnamon you like.
Heat up enough oil to deep fry to about 350-375 (I used my Dutch oven)
Now break off pieces about the size of a walnut and roll them into a ball if you like or you can just dump them in the hot oil.
I fry about 6 at a time.
Fry on both sides until golden brown and fluffy this takes about  5-8 minutes but don't remove too soon or else they will be doughy inside.
Now place them on the paper towels for a minute. Then place in the sugar mixture (either in a bag or in a bowl) while still hot and coat by shaking the bag or rolling around in the bowl.
These are best served right away but can be kept in an air tight container for up to one day, If I am not serving these right away I immediately place them in an air tight container.
If you want to serve these alla Spagnolo serve with with a pot of warm chocolate sauce : )
My Daddy aka The Godfather of Zeppole : )

No comments: