Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2012

Bye Bye Basil (Freezing basil for the winter)

Bye Bye Basil : (

I just put away enough basil for red sauce in the freezer for the next 7 months and it was not too difficult or time consuming. I like to freeze basil for my sauce in 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoon portions ready to drop in any time I make a pot of sauce. I hate and I mean hate dried basil it tastes like hay to me and turns my sauce bitter but frozen is the next best thing to fresh.
Here is how I do it:
Pick basil leaves in the morning when the weather is still cool, that is when they are sweetest.
Note:  a few stems are okay.
Place the basil in the sink or a  big tub and cover with water. Stir around loosening any bugs or dirt.
Remove basil and clean out sink or tub and repeat until the water is clear.
Now dry it either using a salad spinner or an even better way using a pillow case outdoors swinging in a circle with one arm to release all the water.
In  batches process in your food processor or blender using a little olive oil until it looks kind of like pesto.
Freeze in small portions to use in sauce, on pizza, in marinades for meat, etc....
Basil is clean and ready to go!

Process with olive oil until chopped fine.

Portion into small baggies.

My "stash" for the winter ; )

I smash it all in to a large jar so it doesn't freezer burn and takes up less space and in to the freezer : )

No comments: